Place:


Clipston  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clipston like this:

CLIPSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Market-Harborough and county of Northampton. The village stands 1¾ mile W of a station of its own name on the Market-Harborough and Northampton railway, and 4½ SSW of Market-Harborough; has a post office under Northampton; and is a polling-place. ...


The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £5, 395. Pop., 877. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. Red ochre is found. The parish is a meet for the Pytchley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £334.* Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is early English, and has a steeple. A Baptist chapel was improved in 1862, at a cost of £450. A free grammar school and alms-houses, founded in 1667 by Sir George Buswell, have £381 from endowment; and other charities £15.

Clipston through time

Clipston is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clipston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clipston, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7661

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clipston".