Rumburgh  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rumburgh like this:

RUMBURGH, a parish, with a village, in Blything district, Suffolk; 4¼ miles N W by N of Halesworth r.station. It has a post-office under Halesworth. Acres, 1, 468. Real property, £2, 691. Pop., 405. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. A Benedictinepriory, a cell to Holme abbey, was founded here in 1065by Stephen, Earl of Bretagne; was given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal wolsey; and has left some remainsat a farm-house. ...

The living is a p. curacy, united with the vicarage of South Elmham, St. Michael, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £145. Patron, G. Durrant, Esq. The church is a curious old white edifice, with ashort tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a slightlyendowed school, and town-lands £68.

Rumburgh through time

Rumburgh is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rumburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rumburgh, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rumburgh ".