Place:


Braunston  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braunston like this:

BRAUNSTON, or Brandestone, two villages and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. Braunston village stands at the junction of the Oxford and the Grand Junction canals, 3½ miles NW of Daventry, and 4 SSW of Crick r. station; and has a post office‡ under Rugby. Little Braunston village stands ½ a mile to the E. ...


Braunston parish comprises 3,930 acres. Real property, £8,399. Pop., 1,228. Houses, 283. The property is much subdivided. The Grand Junction canal here passes through a tunnel 1½ mile long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £837.* Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1849. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed national school, and charities £296. Bishop Reynolds was sometime rector.

Braunston through time

Braunston is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Braunston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braunston, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7620

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Braunston ".