Place:


Normanton on Soar  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Normanton on Soar like this:

NORMANTON-UPON-SOAR, a village and a parish in the district of Loughborough and county of Nottingham. The village stands on the river Soar at the boundary with Leicester, adjacent to the Derby and Leicester railway, 2¼ miles N N W of Loughborough; and has a post-office, of the name of Normanton, under Loughborough. ...


The parish comprises 1, 500 acres. Real property, £2, 869. Pop., 360. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. N. Buckley, Esq. There are market-gardens, brick-fields, and lime-kilns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, not reported. Patrons, J. N. Buckley, Esq., and others. The church is old but good; and consists of nave and large chancel, with tower and lofty spire. There are a free school and some small charities.

Normanton on Soar through time

Normanton on Soar is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Normanton on Soar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Normanton on Soar, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7589

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Normanton on Soar ".