Place:


Kirklington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirklington like this:

KIRKLINGTON, a village and a township in Bedale district, and a parish partly also in Ripon district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Sinderby r. station, and 6 ½ SE of Bedale; and has a post office under Ripon. The township bears the name of Kirklingtonwith-Upsland, and comprises 1, 910 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 395. Pop., 311. Houses, 63. The parish contains also the townships of East Tanfield and SuttonHowgrave. Acres, 3, 807. Real property, £5, 751. Pop., 471. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. There are the remains of a fine old Hall of the Wandesfords. There are vestiges of a camp, debatably Roman or Danish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £1, 034.* Patron, the Hon.B. Wandesford. The church is ancient, was restored in 1859, and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities, £48.

Kirklington through time

Kirklington is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirklington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirklington, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/758

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirklington ".