Place:


Benefield  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Benefield like this:

BENEFIELD, a parish in Oundle district, Northampton; adjacent to Rockingham forest, 3 miles W of Oundle r. station. It consists of two divisions, called Upper End and Lower End, and embraces an extra-parochial tract in Rockingham forest; and it has a post office under Oundle. Acres, 5,100. Real property, £6,068. ...


Pop., 527. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. W. Russell, Esq. Nine holes, called the Swallows, occasionally suck up and absorb land floods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £531.* Patron, J. W. Russell, Esq. The church was recently restored, and is good. A school has an endowed income of £10, and other charities £33.

Benefield through time

Benefield is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Benefield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Benefield in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7573

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Benefield ".