Place:


Barton Seagrave  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton Seagrave like this:

BARTON-SEAGRAVE, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on the Leicester and Bedford railway, 2 miles SE of Kettering. It has a post office under Kettering. Acres, 1,782. Real property, £3,666. Pop., 199. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Seagraves, who had a castle on it in the time of Edward II., and one of whom was marshal of England in the time of Edward IV. ...


The principal landowner now is Viscountess Hood. The living is a rectory. in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £492.* Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains monuments of the Bridges. Bishop Henchman, born in 1592, and the two Bridges, father and son, the former of whom was the first grower of sainfoin in these parts, while the latter made extensive collections for a history of the county, and died in 1724, were natives.

Barton Seagrave through time

Barton Seagrave is now part of Kettering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kettering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton Seagrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton Seagrave, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7567

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton Seagrave ".