Place:


West Markham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Markham like this:

MARKHAM (WEST), or MARKHAM-CLINTON, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands 1½ mile NNW of Tuxford, and 2¼ NW of Tuxford r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Milton, and comprises 940 acres. Post town, Tuxford, under Newark. Real property, £1,475. ...


Pop., 193. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bevercoates, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £254.* Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The old church is a small building, not in use. The new church was built in 1833, after designs by Smirke; is in the Doric style, with portico and octagonal tower; and includes the family burying-vault of the Duke of Newcastle. There are a national school, and charities £17. Sir John Markham, Lord Chief Justice in the time of Edward IV., and whose tomb is in the church of East Markham, was a native.

West Markham through time

West Markham is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Markham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Markham, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7557

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Markham ".