Place:


Barby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barby like this:

BARBY, a village and a parish in the district of Rug by and county of Northampton. The village stands near the Oxford canal, 1½ mile from the Kilsby tunnel of the Northwestern railway, 4 miles NW of Crick r. station, and 4½ SE of Rugby; and has a post office under Rugby. The parish is called also Barby-with-Onley. Acres, 2,535. Real property, £6,960. Pop., 645. Houses, 156. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £1,150.* Patron, John Jackson, Esq. The church is good. Charities and townlands, £121.

Barby through time

Barby is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barby, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7551

Date accessed: 06th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barby ".