Place:


Badby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badby like this:

BADBY, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands on the ascent of a hill, amid a sandy heath called Badby Down, near the source of the river Nen, 2½ miles SSW of Daventry, and 4¾ W of Weedon r. station. It has a post office under Daventry. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. ...


Real property, £4,455. Pop., 618.-Houses, 161. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to SirKnightly. Hard blue ragstone is quarried. An ancient camp, ten acres in area, with wide deep fosse and very steep ramparts, occurs on Arbury hill, and is supposed to be Roman. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Newnham, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £306.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is fine old structure. There are a free school for girls, a national school, and charities £10.

Badby through time

Badby is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Badby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badby, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7547

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Badby ".