Place:


South Leverton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Leverton like this:

LEVERTON (SOUTH), a village, a township, and a parish, in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands ½ a mile S of Leverton r. station, and 5½ E by S of East Retford; and has a post office under Retford. The township comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £3,564. Pop., 408. ...


Houses, 97.—The parish contains also the chapelry of Cottam, and comprises 2,530 acres. Real property, £4,378. Pop., 494. Houses, 116. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Cottam, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £134.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year.

South Leverton through time

South Leverton is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Leverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Leverton, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7523

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Leverton ".