Place:


Lambley  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lambley like this:

LAMBLEY, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands 2 miles NNW of Burton-Joyce r. station, and 5 NE of Nottingham; and is irregularly built. The parish comprises 2,170 acres. Post-town, Nottingham. Real property, £4,333. Pop. in 1851,951; in 1861,836. Houses, 195. ...


The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the framework-knitting trade. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Lambley House, belongs to the Misses Matthews. There is a barrow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. A. R. D. Flamsteed. The church is early English, and has been partially repaired. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Lambley through time

Lambley is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lambley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lambley, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7509

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lambley ".