Place:


Kneesall  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kneesall like this:

KNEESAL, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands 4 miles SE by E of Ollerton, and 6 W of Carlton r. station; and has a post office under Newark.-The township includes the village. Real property, £2, 348. Pop., 360. Houses, 77.—The parish contains also the townships of Kersall and Ompton. ...


Acres, 3, 360. Real pro perty, £4, 009. Pop., 553. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. The manor of Kneesal belongs to Earl Manvers; and that of Kersall is held by the Duke of Newcastle under the duchy of Lancaster. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; and, prior to the latter part of 1866, was united with the p. curacy of Boughton. Valne, £130.* Patrons, the Chapter of Southwell Collegiate Church. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.—The sub-district contains also seventeen other parishes, parts of two others, and a liberty. Acres, 65, 623. Pop., 11, 370. Houses, 2, 498.

Kneesall through time

Kneesall is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kneesall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kneesall, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7494

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kneesall ".