Place:


Marlesford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marlesford like this:

MARLESFORD, a village and a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Alde, adjacent to the Framlingham railway, 2 miles NE of Wickham-Market, and 4½ SE by S of Framlingham; and lhas a station on the railway. The parish comprises 1,277 acres. Post town, Wickham-Market. ...


Real property, £2,483. Pop., 412. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lieut. Col. F. W. Schreiber. Marlesford Hall is the seat of Miss Shuldham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £380.* Patron, A. Arcedeckne, Esq. The church is Norman; consists of nave and aisle, with strongly-buttressed flint tower; and contains a monum nt of 1641 to the Alston family, and a monument to L. Shuldham who fell at W aterloo. Charities, £13.

Marlesford through time

Marlesford is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marlesford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marlesford in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7488

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marlesford ".