Place:


Shelley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelley like this:

SHELLEY, a scattered village and a chapelry in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an acclivity, near the river Dearne, and near Shepley r. station, 5½ miles SE of Huddersfield; and has a post-office under-Huddersfield. The chapelry contains-also three hamlets, and was constituted in 1868. ...


Acres, 1,420. Real property, £4,035; of which £172 are in mines. Pop., 1,901. Houses, 383. The living is a p. curacy-Value, not reported. There are several woollen manufactories, chapels for Independents, Baptists, and NewMethodists, and an endowed national school.

Shelley through time

Shelley is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shelley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelley, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/747

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shelley".