Place:


Letheringham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Letheringham like this:

LETHERINGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 2½ miles NW of Wickham-Market, and 2½ WSW of Parham r. station. Post town, Wickham-Market. Acres, 1,134. Real property, £1,718. Pop., 208. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton. ...


A priory of Black canons, a cell to St. Peter's monastery in Ipswich, was founded here by Sir Edwin Bovile; and w as given, at the dissolution, first to Sir Anthony Wingfield, afterwards to his third daughter, Elizabeth Naunton. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Hoo, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient; belonged to the priory; has a tower; and contains some decayed monuments of the Boviles, the Wingfields, and the Nauntons.

Letheringham through time

Letheringham is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Letheringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Letheringham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7463

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Letheringham ".