Place:


Lackford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lackford like this:

LACKFORD, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; near Icknield-street and the river Lark, 3¼ miles N of Saxham r. station, and 5½ NW of Bury-St. Edmunds. Post-town, Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2,243. Real property, £1,720. Pop., 197. Houses, 37. The land all belongs to the Rev. James Holden. There are rabbit warrens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £320. * Patrons, the Trustees of the late Sir C. E. Kent, Bart. The church is a thatched building, with a tower.

Although Lackford Hundred was named after the village of Lackford, the village was not in fact in the hundred.

Lackford through time

Lackford is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lackford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lackford, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7433

Date accessed: 30th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lackford ".