Place:


Gotham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gotham like this:

GOTHAM, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands 3 miles NE of Kegworth r. station, and 7 SSW of Nottingham; was anciently called Goat's-home, from goats having been much cherished by its inhabitants; figures in a black letter book, called "The Merry Tales of the Mad Men of Gotham, " written by Dr. ...


Andrew Borde, the original "merry Andrew, " and containing facetious stories which have long circulated in nurseries; consists now of only a few cottages; and has a post office under Derby. The parish comprises 2, 740 acres. Real property, £3, 339. Pop., 771. Houses, 177. The property is much subdivided. Part of the surface is moor. Limestone and gypsum occur; and bricks are made. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, 513.* Patron, rotationally Earl Howe, Lord St. John, and G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Gotham through time

Gotham is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gotham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gotham, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7418

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gotham ".