Place:


Gonalston  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gonalston like this:

GONALSTONE, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on an affluent of the river Trent, 1 mile W of Lowdham r. station, and 4½ SSW of Southwell. Post town, Lowdham, under Nottingham. Acres, 950. Real property, £2, 112. Pop., 107. Houses, 25. The manor, with Gonalstone House, belongs to L. ...


Franklin, Esq. An hospital was built at Bradebusk, by William Heriz, in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £324. Patron, R. Franklin, Esq. The church is early English; has a tower and spire; and in part, including tower and spire, was recently rebuilt.

Gonalston through time

Gonalston is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gonalston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gonalston, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7416

Date accessed: 04th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gonalston ".