Place:


Cotgrave  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotgrave like this:

COTGRAVE, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands adjacent to Grantham canal, near the Fosse way, 4 miles S of Ratcliffe r. station, and 7 SE by E of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Stragglethorpe. Acres, 3, 350. ...


Real property, £5, 581. Pop., 878. Houses, 193. The property is all in one estate. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. Limestone is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £628.*-Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient, has a spire, and is very good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Cotgrave through time

Cotgrave is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotgrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotgrave, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7352

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotgrave ".