Place:


Cossall  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cossall like this:

COSSALL, a parish in Basford district, Notts; at the boundary with Derby, and at the Erewash river, canal, and railway, 1½ mile ENE of Ilkeston r. station, and 6½ WNW of Nottingham. It includes the hamlet of Cossall-Marsh; and its post town is Ilkeston, under Nottingham. Acres, 720. Real property, £1, 311. Pop., 256. Houses, 58. The property is all in one estate. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory of Wollaton, in the diocese of Lincoln. The chur. ch is good; and there is an alms-hospital with £132 a year.

Cossall through time

Cossall is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cossall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cossall, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7347

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cossall ".