Place:


Clayworth  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayworth like this:

CLAYWORTH, a township and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The township lies on the Chesterfield canal, 4¾ miles E of Ranskill r. station, and 6 NNE of East Retford; includes part of Drakeshole hamlet; and has a post office under Bawtry. Pop., 414. Houses, 105. The parish contains also the township of Wyeston. ...


Acres, 3, 080. Real property, £3, 679. Pop., 538. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. Wyeston Hall, a seat of Earl Spencer, is a handsome edifice, amid grounds commanding an extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £550. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £64 from endowment; and other charities £8.

Clayworth through time

Clayworth is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clayworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayworth, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7325

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clayworth ".