Place:


Carlton on Trent  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton on Trent like this:

CARLTON-UPON-TRENT, a chapelry in Norwell parish, Notts; on the river Trent, at a ferry, and on the Great Northern railway, 6¼ miles N of Newark. It has a station on the railway and a post office under Newark. Acres, 1,160. Real property, £2,151. Pop., 290. Houses, 51. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Norwell, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is modern, in the early English style; and has a tall spire. There is a parochial school.

Carlton on Trent through time

Carlton on Trent is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton on Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton on Trent, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7320

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton on Trent ".