Place:


Carlton in Lindrick  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton in Lindrick like this:

CARLTON, a village, two townships, a parish, and a subdistrict in Worksop district. Notts. The village stands 4 miles N of the Manchester and Sheffield railway at Worksop; was a place of some consequence in the Saxon times; and has a post office under Worksop. The townships comprise all the parish; are for highway purposes only; and bear the names of North and South. ...


The parish is called Carlton-in-Lindrick; and contains 3,980 acres. Real property, £6,354. Pop., 1,035. Houses, 227. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given at the conquest to Roger de Busli. Carlton Hall belonged formerly to the Cliftons and others, and passed to the Ramsdens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £576.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is partly Norman; has a lofty square tower; and is pretty good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.-The sub-d. contains four parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 25,200. Pop., 3,586. Houses, 787.

Carlton in Lindrick through time

Carlton in Lindrick is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton in Lindrick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton in Lindrick, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7319

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton in Lindrick ".