Place:


Calverton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calverton like this:

CALVERTON, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands near an affluent of the river Trent, 4¼ miles NNW of Burton-Joyce r. station, and 6½ NNE of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The parish includes Satterford manor. Acres, 3,320. Real property, £4,724. ...


Pop., 1,372. Houses, 288. The property is much subdivided. Roofing stone is quarried. Many of the inhabitants are lace and stocking makers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £127.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Manchester and the Prebendary of Oxton. The church is good; and there are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school has £12 from endowment; and other charities £12. Lee, the inventor of the stocking frame, was a native.

Calverton through time

Calverton is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calverton, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7315

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calverton ".