Place:


Hundon  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hundon like this:

HUNDON, a village and a parish in Risbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands 3½ miles N W of Clare r. station, and 6 NE by E of Haverhill; and has a postoffice under Newmarket, and a fair on Holy Thursday. The parish comprises 4, 461 acres. Real property, £6, 863. Pop., 1, 132. ...


Houses, 255. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Vernons, and belongs now to the Dashwoods. Coins of Athelstane were found in 1687. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £201. * Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is aucient; was recently restored; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a porch and tower. An adjoining building contains a pyramidal monument to Arethusa, daughter of Lord Clifford. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £200.

Hundon through time

Hundon is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hundon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hundon, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7302

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hundon ".