Place:


Hoo  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoo like this:

HOO, a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 3¾ miles WSW of Parham r. station, and 4 NW of Wickham-Market. Post town, Brandeston, under Wickham-Market. Acres, 1, 185. Real property, £1, 817. Pop., 182. Houses, 25. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Letheringham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £110 * Patrons, Trustees. There is a national school.

Hoo through time

Hoo is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoo in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7298

Date accessed: 08th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoo ".