Place:


Hintlesham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hintlesham like this:

HINTLESHAM, a village and a parish in Samford district, Suffolk. The village stands near a branch of the river Orwell, 2¼ miles NE by N of Raydon r. station, and 4½ ENE of Hadleigh; and has a post office under Ipswich. The parish comprises 2, 828 acres. Real property, £4, 351. ...


Pop., 613. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. Hintlesham Hall belonged to the Timperleys, and passed to the Lloyds and the Anstruthers. The parish is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £590. * Patron, the Rev. W. H. Deane. The church is old but good, with a tower; and contains a brass of 1400, and a monument to the Misses Lloyd. There is an Independent chapel and an endowed national school.

Hintlesham through time

Hintlesham is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hintlesham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hintlesham, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7290

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hintlesham ".