Place:


Hinderclay  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinderclay like this:

HINDERCLAY, a parish in Stow district, Suffolk; near the boundary with Norfolk, 2 miles NW of Botesdale, and 6 WNW of Mellis r. station. Post town, Botesdale, under Scole. Acres, 1, 458. Real property, £2, 481. Pop., 388. Houses, 53. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. H. Wilson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £408.* Patron, G. St. V. Wilson, Esq. The church is a plain edifice, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £25.

Hinderclay through time

Hinderclay is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinderclay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinderclay in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7289

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinderclay ".