Place:


East Bridgford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Bridgford like this:

BRIDGFORD (East), a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands on the Fosséway and on the river Trent, 2½ miles N of Bingham r station, and 9 ENE of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. It occupies the site of the Roman Margidunum; and is sometimes called Bridgford-on-the-Hill. ...


The parish comprises 1,910 acres. Real property, £6,430. Pop., 1,078. Houses, 238. The property is subdivided. A ferry is on the Trent at the village. Gypsum is found. Roman coins and other Roman relics have been got on Castle-hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £752.* Patron, Magdalene College, Oxford. The church is of various date and character, from early English onward; and was restored in 1862. There are three dissenting chapels, a fine national school of 1864, and charities £13.

East Bridgford through time

East Bridgford is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Bridgford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Bridgford, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7276

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Bridgford ".