Place:


Hengrave  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hengrave like this:

HENGRAVE, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on the river Lark, 3 miles NNW of Bury-ST. Edmunds r. station. Post town, Bury-ST. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 044. Real property, £1, 369. Pop., 219. Houses, 45. The manor belonged to the Hengraves, passed to the Greys, the Crown, the Kitsons, the Darcies, and the Gages; and belongs now to Sir Thomas R. ...


Gage, Bart. Hengrave Hall was built, in 1538, by Sir T. Kitson; and is a fine specimen of Tudor architecture, in brick with stone facings. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Flempton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is ancient, with a round tower; has not been used, as a church, since 1859; is maintained only as a mausoleum; and contains many monuments of the successive owners of the manor and other persons. Charities, £30.

Hengrave through time

Hengrave is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hengrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hengrave, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7274

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hengrave ".