Place:


Bramcote  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bramcote like this:

BRAMCOTE, a village and a parish in the district of Shardlow, and county of Nottingham. The village stands near the verge of the county and near the Nottingham canal and the Erewash river, 1½ mile ENE of Sandiacre and Stapleford r. station, and 5 WSW of Nottingham; and has a post office under that town.—The parish comprises 1,076 acres. ...


Real property, £3,760. Pop., 691. Houses, 147. The property is divided among-a few. Bramcote House is the seat of the Sherwins. The Hemlock stone, a Druidical monument 50 feet high, stands on a bare knoll. Much of the surface is hill and moor. Coal is found. A number of the inhabitants work in the lace and hosiery trades. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Attenborough, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church was built in 1862; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and vestry, with a tower and spire 130 feet high. The previous church contained monuments of the Handleys. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40.

Bramcote through time

Bramcote is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bramcote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bramcote, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7272

Date accessed: 29th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bramcote ".