Place:


Hartest  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartest like this:

HARTEST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Sudbury district, Suffolk. The village stands 7½ miles NE of Clare r. station, and 9 NNW of Sudbury; and has a post office under Bury-ST. Edmunds. The parish comprises 1, 964 acres. Real property, £3, 530. Pop., 744. Houses, 164. ...


The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Boxted, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £652. * Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient and tolerable, with a tower. A school has £41 from endowment; and other charities have £10.—The sub-district contains also eight other parishes. Acres, 18, 310. Pop., 6, 428. Houses, 1, 405.

Hartest through time

Hartest is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartest, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7250

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartest ".