Place:


Harkstead  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harkstead like this:

HARKSTEAD, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the estuary of the river Stour, 5 miles ESE of Bentley Junction r. station, and 6½ SSE of Ipswich. It has a post-office under Ipswich. Acres, 2,266; of which 540 are water. Real property, £3,077. Pop., 380 Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Odo de Campania; and belongs now to the Berners family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £51 8. Patron, the Rev. R. Berners. The church is ancient, in fair condition; and has a tower.

Harkstead through time

Harkstead is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harkstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harkstead, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7247

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harkstead ".