Place:


Gipping  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gipping like this:

GIPPING, a hamlet-chapelry in Stowmarket parish, Suffolk; on a headstream of the Gipping, 2¼ miles ENE of Haughley Junction r. station, and 4 NNE of Stowmarket. Post town, Old Newton, under Stowmarket. Acres, 1, 144. Real property, £2, 910. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. Gipping Hall is the seat ofTyrrell, Esq. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron,Tyrrell, Esq.

Gipping through time

Gipping is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gipping itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gipping in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7227

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gipping ".