Place:


Houghton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton like this:

HOUGHTON, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the Huntingdon and Cambridge railway, 2½ miles WNW of St. Ives; and has a post office under Huntingdon. The parish comprises 1, 640 acres. Real property, £3, 089. Pop., 484. ...


Houses, 110. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. * Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is very ancient; was recently restored; consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and S porch, with tower and spire; and contains an early English stone seat, and an elegant piscina. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and a British school.

Houghton through time

Houghton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7217

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Houghton".