Place:


Holme  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme like this:

HOLME, a parochial chapelry in Glatton parish, Huntingdon; on Holme brook and on the Great Northern railway, 7 miles S of Peterborough. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Peterborough. Acres, 4, 300. Real property, £6, 151. Pop. in 1851, 506; in 1861, 644. Houses, 114. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Holme Wood House, belongs to W. Wells, Esq. The surface is mainly fen-land; and includes great part of what was formerly Whittlesea-mere, which has been drained and brought into cultivation. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300.* Patron, W. Wells, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1862; and includes, in its interior, a portion of the old church. There are an endowed boys' school, with £60 a year, and charities £29.

Holme through time

Holme is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7215

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme ".