Place:


Bury  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bury like this:

BURY, a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon; on an affluent of the river Nen, ¾ of a mile S of Ramsey r. station, and 8 miles N by W of St. Ives. It has a post office under Huntingdon. Acres, 1,645. Real property, £3,765. Pop., 362. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to Ramsey Abbey; and passed to successively the Williamses, the Bainbridges, and the Barnards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, Value, £167. Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is partly Norman and early English, and is good. There is a free school.

Bury through time

Bury is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bury in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7208

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bury ".