Place:


Hemingford Abbots  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemingford Abbots like this:

HEMINGFORD-ABBOTS, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Ouse, adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 2V miles W of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives, Hunts. The parish comprises 2, 990 acres. Real property, £4, 154. ...


Pop., 518. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in the time of Canute, by Bishop Æthelric, to Ramsey abbey; went, after the dissolution, to the Pages and the Barnards; and belongs now to Miss Mitchell and Captain Douglas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £424.* Patron, Dennis Herbert, Esq. The church is ancient but good: and contains a tomb of one of the abbots of Ramsey. Charities, £18.

Hemingford Abbots through time

Hemingford Abbots is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hemingford Abbots itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemingford Abbots in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7207

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hemingford Abbots".