Place:


Hartford  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartford like this:

HARTFORD, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on Ermine street and the river Ouse, 1½ mile E of Huntingdon r. station. Post town, Huntingdon. Acres, 1, 720. Real property, £2, 737. Pop., 341. Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir John Pelly, Bart. ...


Many Ancient coins and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174. * Patron, the Rev. George Pinder. The church is partly Norman; belonged to the Augustinian friary of Huntingdon; has two aisles and a tower; underwent repair in 1861; and was then found to include stone coffins, mural paintings, and other interesting objects of the Saxon and the Norman times. The great tithes and the patronage formed part of the marriage settlement of Oliver Cromwell's wife. Charities, £30.

Hartford through time

Hartford is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartford in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7206

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hartford".