Place:


Steeple Gidding  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steeple Gidding like this:

GIDDING (Steeple), a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on Alconbury brook, 7 miles S by W of Stilton, and 7 SW by S of Holme r. station. Post town, Hamerton, under St. Neots. Acres, 1, 091. Real property, £1, 226. Pop., 118. Houses, 21. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged formerly to the Cottons, and belongs now to J. Heathcote, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £199. Patron, J. Heathcote, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a spire; and contains monuments of the Cottons.

Steeple Gidding through time

Steeple Gidding is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steeple Gidding itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steeple Gidding in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7197

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steeple Gidding ".