Place:


Fornham St Genevieve  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fornham St Genevieve like this:

FORNHAM-ST. GENEVEVE, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on the river Lark, 3¼ miles N by W of Bury-St. Edmunds r. station. Post town, Fornham-All Saints, under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 790. Real property, £962. Pop., 64. Houses, 14. Fornham House belonged formerly to the Duke of Norfolk, and belongs now to Lord Manners. ...


A sanguinary battle was fought within this parish, in 1173, between the troops of Henry II., commanded by Robert de Lacy, chief-justice of England, and those of Henry's rebellions son, under the Earl of Leicester. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Risby, in the diocese of Ely. The church was burned in 1782. Charities, £5.

Fornham St Genevieve through time

Fornham St Genevieve is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fornham St Genevieve itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fornham St Genevieve, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7196

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fornham St Genevieve ".