Place:


Fornham All Saints  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fornham All Saints like this:

FORNHAM-ALL SAINTS, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk: on the river Lark, 2 miles NNW of Bury-St. Edmunds r. station. It has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 698. Real property, £3, 646. Pop., 381. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Gages. ...


A Franciscan priory, a cell to Bury abbey, stood here; and some remains of it exist. A battle, between Edward, son of King Alfred, and Ethelwold, his cousin, was fought in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Westley, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £738.* Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church has a brass of 1599, and is very good. Charities, £32.

Fornham All Saints through time

Fornham All Saints is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fornham All Saints itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fornham All Saints, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7194

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fornham All Saints ".