Flixton  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flixton like this:

FLIXTON, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; adjacent to the river Waveney, and the boundary with Norfolk, 3 miles SW of Bungay r. station. Post town, Bungay. Acres, 1, 761. Real property, £2, 853. Pop., 165. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Flixton Hall is the seat of Sir R. ...

S. Adair, Bart.; superseded a structure by Inigo Jones; burnt down in 1846; contains valuable pictures by the Dutch and Italian masters; and stands in a park of 400 acres. An Augustinian nunnery was founded in the parish in 1258, by Margery de Creek; and given, at the dissolution, to the Tasburghs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £140. Patron, Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. The church is ancient, but good; has a square tower of uncut flints; and contains a carved pulpit, and iron hour-glass frame, and a quatrefoil panelled pew.

Flixton through time

Flixton is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flixton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flixton, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flixton ".