Place:


Erwarton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Erwarton like this:

ERWARTON, or Arwerton, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, 2½ miles NNW of Dovercourt r. station, and 3¼ NNW of Harwich, -each of them on the other side of the Stour. Post town, Shotley, under Ipswich. Acres, 2, 978; of which 1, 660 are water. Real property, £2, 359. ...


Pop., 243. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the 14th century, to the Bacons; passed to the Drurys and the Parkers; and belongs now to the Rev. H. D. Berners. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Woolverstone, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £484.* Patron, the Rev. H. D. Berners. The church is very good; and there are charities £7.

Erwarton through time

Erwarton is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Erwarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Erwarton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7157

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Erwarton ".