Place:


Alwalton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alwalton like this:

ALWALTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the river Nen, 2 miles SW of Overton r. station, and 5 WSW of Peterborough. It has a post office under Peterborough; and contains the mansion of Alwalton Castle. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £1,704. Pop., 342. ...


Houses, 68. The manor was given anciently to the monks of Peterborough, and transferred by Henry VIII. to the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* Patron, the H on. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is partly Norman, and was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a British school.

Alwalton through time

Alwalton is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alwalton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alwalton, in Peterborough and Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7143

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alwalton ".