Place:


Dennington  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dennington like this:

DENNINGTON, a parish and a sub-district in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The parish lies at the head of the river Alde, 2½ miles N of Framlingham r. station; and has a post office under Wickham-Market. Acres, 3, 262. Real property, £5, 944. Pop., 895. Houses, 205. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Phelips, one of whom was Lord Bardolph; and passed first to the Beaumonts, then to the Rouses, now Earls of Stradbroke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £841. Patron, the Rev. E.Alston. The church is an edifice of flint and stone, with lofty, square, pinnacled tower; had anciently two chantries; contains monuments of the Rouses and the Wingfields; and is very good. Charities, £90.—The sub-district contains fourteen parishes. Acres, 26, 543. Pop., 7, 002. Houses, 1, 542.

Dennington through time

Dennington is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dennington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dennington in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7127

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dennington ".