Place:


Cockfield  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cockfield like this:

COCKFIELD, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; on the river Bret, 3 miles SSE of Welnetham r. station, and 9½ NNE of Sudbury. It has a post office under Sudbury. Acres, 3, 626. Real property, £6, 160. Pop., 992. Houses, 229. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Bury abbey. ...


Cockfield Hall belonged formerly to the Brookes; and afterwards to SirBlois, Bart. Earlshall belonged to the De Veres, Earls of Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £635.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is later English, in flint; consists of nave and chancel, with aisles and tower; and has a fine monument to the Harveys. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £9.

Cockfield through time

Cockfield is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cockfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cockfield, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7094

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cockfield ".