Place:


Campsey Ash  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Campsey Ash like this:

CAMPSEY-ASH, a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; on the river Deben and the East Suffolk railway, near Wickham-Market-Junction station, 2½ miles E by N of Wickham-Market. It has a post office under Wickham-Market. Acres, 1,813. Real property, £2,982. Pop., 379. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. ...


Ash House is the seat of the Sheppards. A nunnery of St. Clare was founded here, in the time of King John, by Theobald de Valoines; and some remains of it exist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £350.* Patron, Lord Rendlesham. The church has an ancient tower; contains a brass of a priest; and is fair.

Campsey Ash through time

Campsey Ash is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Campsey Ash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Campsey Ash in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7076

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Campsey Ash ".