Bramfield  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bramfield like this:

BRAMFIELD, a parish in Blything district, Suffolk; on the East Suffolk railway, near the river Blythe, 2 miles S of Halesworth. It has a post office under Saxmundham. Acres, 2,546. Real property, £5,160. Pop., 649. Houses, 151. The property is much subdivided. Bramfield Hall is the seat of Col. ...

Robinson. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £172.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early decorated English, without aisles; and has a rich screen, with rood-loft. A round tower stands detached. There are Independent and P. Methodist chapels, and an endowed school with £29 a year. An ancient oak here, which fell in 1843, is mentioned in the ballad relating to Hugh Bigod's flight in 1174:

When the Baily had ridden to Bramfield oak,
Sir Hugh was at Ilksale bower;
When the Baily had ridden to Halesworth cross,
He was singing in Bungay tower.

Bramfield through time

Bramfield is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bramfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bramfield in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 23rd May 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bramfield ".